By Logan Marshall, 07/15/2011
Hawai'i has long been known as a cross roads of East and West being both a destination for American tourists and Japanese ones. Twenty years ago 12 chefs collaborated to eventually create the Hawai'i Regional Cuisine which, "takes the Islands' freshest ingredients and utilizes them to blend the many unique cuisines of the numerous ethnicities that call Hawai'i home." Celebrating these twenty years in the island paradise of O'ahu this year marks the first annual Hawai'i Food & Wine Festival.
Spanning from September 29 to October 1 this festival is centered around the idea of using locally grown and gathered food and specialty produce (let's remember that Hawai'i is known for its sugarcane, coffee, and chocolate production) the festival will also highlight Hawai'i's return to sustainability. Not to mention that it goes to benefitting the Hawai'i Agricultural Foundation and the Culinary, hospitality and Tourism Department of Kai'olani Community College.
So What's the Main Event:
- Streets of Asia: Morimoto and Friends
- An interpretation of popular dishes by chefs in Hawai'i, Korea, Singapore, Canada and the United States.
- Being led by Masaharu Morimoto the other participating chefs are Edward Kwon, Susur Lee, Shang, Zentan, Chinois, Justin Quek, Douglas Rodriguez, and Guy Rubino.
- First-Annual Halekulani Master Chefs Gala Dinner Series
- A formal affair with a price tag to match. A lavish meal at the Halekulani Hotel created by top chefs hailing locally from Hawai'i and internationally from Japan, Australia, and from mainland USA.
- The chefs included are Vikram Garg, Hubert Heller, Robin Lee, Yoshihiro Murata, Kikunoi, Alessandro Stratta, Tetsuya Wakuda, and Nancy Silverton.
- From Mauka to Makai: Hawai'i's Sustainable Future
- Held at the Hilton Hawai'ian Village with meals prepared by fifteen celebrity chefs intended to promote farm-to-table cuisine and sustainable sourcing and cooking practices.
- The chefs included: John Besh, Michael Cimarusti, Celestino Drago, Dean Fearing, Michael Ginor, Ed Kenney, George Mavrothalassitis, Peter Merriman, Rick Moonen, Michel Nischan, Phillippe Padovani, Jeffrey Vigilla, Marcel Vigneron, Alan Wong, Roy Yamaguc.
So, if you're considering going:
- Aston Hotels & Resorts is offering Fall Specials of up to 40% savings.
- Imagine being able to stay beach front in Oahu for more reasonable prices than you'd ever expect. Check out their website to see what they have to offer or give us a call to book your stay today.
- Atlantis Submarines
- And, if you're looking for something else to do besides soak in the sun and enjoy international cuisine, consider a dive down to 100 ft to explore Hawai'i's oceanic life in the comfort of an actual submarine. Booking your submarine tour online you can save 10%
Give us a call today to get started.
Filed Under: News, Specials